Pages

Monday 26 November 2018

Chinook Smash

After the failed brew on for Galaxy and Centennial IPA which some of it I put down to my choice of bittering hops being Chinook I wanted to actually see what this hop was about and since I had so much of it I though fuck it, I'll do a single hop beer (actually my first ever single hop beer).

I figured some Maris Otter and I know this doesn't make it a smash but I through in some wheat to go with it.

Hops, well you guessed it Chinook from start to finish.  I used a shitload of hops on this one, mostly in the hop stand and dry hop hoping that I would get a good amount of aroma from this beer to really see what the hops are about.

On the yeast from once again I went with the 1272.

Recipe:
SMASH Pale Ale
OG 1.047
EBC 9.2
IBU 43
ABV 4.9%
FG 1.010

Fermentables:
5kg Maris Otter (79%)
300g Gladfield Wheat Malt (6%)

Yeast:
Wyeast American Ale II 1272

Mash:
Mashed at 65 degrees C for 60mins
Raised to 75 degrees for 10mins

Boil:
Boiled for 60mins

Hops:
Chinook 15g (12.2AA) 19.1 IBU @ 60mins
Chinook 10g (12.2AA) 4.6 IBU @ 10mins
Chinook 10g (12.2AA) 2.5 IBU @ 5mins
Chinook 50g (12.2AA) 17.5 IBU @ hopstand once chilled to 80 degrees C

Fermentation:
Fermented at 18 degrees C for the first 5 days then raised up to 20 to finish it off.

Dry Hops:
Chinook 160g (12.2AA) @ Dry Hop

Tasting Notes:
Well this beer sucked.  I don't know what happened to the aroma from the hops, but they weren't there at all.  For 160g dry hop I was disappointed.  I don't know if this was the batch of hops I had or if this is how Chinook is all the time?  In the end I didn't bother finishing the keg as it was so boring and I had another beer I wanted to get in there that might actually have some flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment