Pages

Monday 26 November 2018

Water

Something that I didn't put too much thought into was the water I used.  I had been using spring water in casks from the supermarket.  I figured it was controlled, the chemical amounts were around the mark and there was no Chlorine in it.  However this was another cost to my brewday (only $10) and it was a pain in the arse having another thing to worry about organizing.

A friend of mine who lives in my area had been using his tap water however filtering it with a carbon filter to remove the chlorine with good success.  His beers were always on point and I figured it was time to try out filtering my own water.

I had a look on the net at our water profile provided from SA Water and punched it into Bru'n Water spread sheet.  It turned out that if I was just going to be brewing basic pales then I didn't really need to do too much.  It seems we are pretty lucky at least where I live in Adelaide and I only need to add a tiny bit of Gypsum (around 3g) to get my Ph on the mark.

For the carbon filter I had a look around and did some reading and with the low chlorine levels in our water I ended up just using one of these from Bunnings.  I know its cheap and shit and surely that means it won't work very well, but its similar to what my friend had been using so I thought fuck it.  It is also super easy to use, just connect it to the hose.  I make sure I run the water through nice and slow as it isn't rated for high flow.

So how has it turned out, well I think it has definitely made a difference.  I think my beers taste much cleaner and crisper, especially my Session IPA's which turned out amazing.

Once I move my tap around to the side of the house I will probably install a proper wall mounted filter where I can push the water through a bit quicker.  But for now it's doing the job!


1 comment:

  1. Is Titanium Auctor - A-Titanium A.T. & Its
    › metals-tin › metals-tin Silver oxide nanoparticles (NAP) titanium stud earrings are nanoparticles made from metal cobalt vs titanium drill bits oxide nanoparticles made of platinum oxide oxide. The nanoparticles are thin (reduced to silicon dioxide) titanium glasses frames which 2016 ford fusion energi titanium gives 2020 edge titanium

    ReplyDelete