Pages

Monday 26 November 2018

Session IPA Version II

Session IPA Version II

After the huge success of Session IPA version I there was never going to be long before I brewed it again.  This time there would be no fuck up with the boil hops and I was going to try out a new hop combo.  I knew I wanted to use Citra again but couldn't get any up my local home brew shop.  So I went with a bulk order again splitting it with a friend so we could both get a good amount of Citra and Vic Secret.  I had been keen to get hold of some Vic Secret for a while but had never been able to get it when I wanted so I thought fuck it.

I used the exact same grist again except I couldn't get flaked oats so I just subbed in with some flaked wheat.

On the yeast front I went with my go to yeast Wyeast American Ale II 1272.

Brew day went off without a hitch (unlike last time).

Recipe:
Session IPA
OG 1.038
EBC 5.5
IBU 40
ABV 4%
FG 1.008

Fermentables:
2.4kg Gladfield Pilsner (49%)
1.2kg Gladfield Ale Malt (24%)
700g Flaked Wheat(14%)
400g Carapils (8%)
200g Rice Hulls (4%)

Yeast:
Wyeast American Ale II 1272

Mash:
Mashed at 65 degrees C for 60mins
Raised to 75 degrees for 10mins

Boil:
Boiled for 60mins

Hops:
Columbus 5g (16.6AA) 9.4 IBU @ 60mins
Citra 35g (12.4AA) 26.8 IBU @ hopstand once chilled to 80 degrees C
Vic Secret 30g (12.4AA) 13.4 IBU @ hopstand once chilled to 80 degrees C


Fermentation:
Fermented at 18 degrees C for the first 5 days then raised up to 20 to finish it off.

Dry Hops:
Citra 40g (12.4AA) @ Dry Hop
Vic Secret 30g (17.7AA) @ Dry Hop



Tasting:
So this time no fuck up with the hops in the boil.  Overall pretty darn good again.  I'm going to have to control myself so I can actually have this one tap for Christmas Day since we are having the family over.

Again not thin in the mouth again I am guessing from the high amount of flaked wheat.  Aroma is nice and fruity again without being over the top.  I think I preferred the aroma from the first batch with the Galaxy in it, but with out a side by side I can't say 100%.

Bitterness is nice its still enough and fades quickly.  I love Columbus for bittering I think its the best option out there, high AA so you don't need a lot and doesn't become harsh in the boil.

Color is again spot of for what I was aiming for, again I used Gelatin to get it clear quickly as I wanted to drink this as fresh as possible.

I am thinking this malt bill will become my standard issue for trying out new hops, either single hops or combination.

So whats next for Version III?  I might go with some Citra/Mosaic/Vic Secret........

No comments:

Post a Comment